In the gaming world, talking in all caps means war. Many times, I have used my EBB (electronic billboard-Tantra Ph) with words in all caps just to make my point known all over Mandara, Jina and all the other towns of Tantra. It gives a person that satisfaction that if you “speak” in all caps, they would know you are really seething.
Akala mo naman eh makakapatay ang allcaps.
Weird, but sometimes, the intensity of the emotions involved in cheating opponents, stuck up partymates, and ignorant ashram members would make one tap away on the keyboard in all caps, wishing it were making an effect to the other person.
However, of course, that phase of being an addict to online games has passed (or has it? lol). The online world has changed for the past 20 years as well. Instead of just playing online, we now conduct classes online as well. However, we still seem to be at loss on the proper use of the all caps.
So, in the online metaworld, when do we use the allcaps?
- When we want to emphasize a word, a phrase, a term, or a whole sentence. We do not just encode in all caps just because we want to. It depicts a feeling of authority and superiority. MOM took the car. Mom TOOK the car. Mom took the CAR.
- We need to catch someone’s attention. Maybe you are in a group chat, and someone is not paying attention and/or ignoring you, yeah, you have to make a statement-in all caps. HELLLLOOOOO???
- If the combination of letters is confusing or might be ambiguous. Like myself, my nickname is EL. I usually type it in allcaps because it has been in more than one occasion that I have been called E-I. Or my online game, EILMOREL. I would rather type it in uppercase to avoid confusion. Or maybe an email address with confusing letters such as the small L and a big I. So, type it in all caps and just mention that it should be in the lowercase.
- As a title. Of course, the most common use of the uppercase is for a work’s title.
- When we are ecstatic. Yes! It is ok to use allcaps if the context of your message is pure ecstasy. How many time have we sent a message in all caps saying how happy we are? OMG! OMG! OMG! I PASSED THE BOARD EXAM!
- WHEN WE ARE ANGRY. Or at least emotional. Instead of throwing the phone to the wall, we type in all caps. That is where we pour our emotions. WHY ARE YOU BEING SO STUBBORN ON THIS???
So the next time you post something in uppercase, think twice on how the recipient will interpret (or misinterpret-haha) your message. Unless you are of course, in any of the above-mentioned scenarios.
Look at how these words seem different when in the uppercase: